Step one: Go through and sort out your finances…

Work out how much you can spend on your new home. A Mortgage advisor can be very helpful at this point. Be aware that some mortgage advisors can search the whole market, and some are tied to a specific lender. We can recommend an advisor we have worked with for many years if this is helpful.

Look at your outgoings and income, this will give you confidence that you will be able to pay the new mortgage.

Consider improvements you can make to your credit rating as this will be of interest to mortgage lenders. This may include paying off loans or consolidating loans.

Step two: Get your property ready to be sold…

You will need several specific certificates and documents to bring your house to the market. Talk to a local solicitor about what will be required. We can recommend a solicitor if this is helpful. The documents include:

EPC The Energy Performance certificate for your home may be available from the local council as they hold a register of these, or your estate agent can assist you in obtaining a new EPC.

FENSA certificates for any replacement windows.

Gas servicing records.

Electrical certificates for new work in the house.

Identification documents for you and co-owners. The agent and solicitor will need to see ID with a photograph, and a utilities bill or bank statement showing your names which is less than 3 months old.

Step three: Have your home valued…

Ask an agent you trust to come to discuss what value you should offer the property at. The agent will prefer to meet you to discuss your timescales as this has a bearing on what price to ask. If you don’t need to move for 6 months and don’t have a specific purchase in mind, it is reasonable to try a higher figure to see whether it can be achieved.

Step four: Instruct your estate agent…

Confirm with the agent that you want to instruct them. Complete and return the paperwork where necessary. Agree what is being left and what should be included in the details.

Step five: Presenting your home for listing…

Stand on the street and look at your home with a critical eye. Does anything need tidying, trimming, re-painting? Does anything ‘glare’ at you and can it be improved?

The look of the house/flat from the street is very important in attracting viewers. Inside your home clear as much as possible so that floor space can be seen. Consider moving any excess furniture/ belongings out into storage. Clear surfaces in the kitchen and bathroom. Consider getting air through and putting out room fragrancers to mask any pet or cooking smells.

We recommend leaving the house and allowing the agent to carry out the viewings so that the viewers can imagine themselves living in the house rather than seeing how you live in it.

What fees do you pay when selling a house in the UK?

The average commission charged to sell your house with a high-street estate agent in England and Wales is 1.18% plus VAT. Selling a house priced at the average UK house price of £251,000 will see estate agent fees of £2,961. Estate agents will base their fee on a percentage of the final sale price.

Talk to Charles Peck about what we will charge to sell your house.

Documents You Need To Sell Your House (UK)

1) Management Information Pack (leasehold property)

The management information pack is crucial when you want to sell the property quickly  as it contains vital information that could sway a buyer’s decision to purchase your house. As the pack can take several weeks to arrive, it is essential to purchase the management information pack as soon as possible. The documents can be obtained through a solicitor. However, you can also acquire the pack yourself through the freeholder or your managing agent.

2) Proof of identity 

Gather documents that prove your address and appearance (photo ID). To prove your address you will need either a utility bill or a bank statement. Whereas you will need a copy of your passport or driving licence to prove your appearance.

If you do not have any form of photo ID then we suggest applying for a drivers licence. This form of ID can take as little as one week to receive. However, always apply far in advance – just in case! You need to ensure your paperwork is to hand if you want to sell swiftly.  Some buyers are willing to walk away from a deal if you are not prepared or delay the process.

3) Leasehold / shared freehold documents

You will need to provide either a lease or Share Certificate depending on the type of agreement you have. If the property is leasehold, you will need to show a copy of the lease. A Share Certificate is required for shared freehold homes.

4) Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

An energy performance certificate (EPC) is a vital document which will be required when you sell. The property cannot be offered on the market without one. (Listed buildings are exempt).  If you cannot find the certificate, you can access a copy at the register by providing your address.

5) Property Title Deeds. Your solicitor will obtain these.

To sell your home you will probably need the original property title deeds. These official documents state the chain of ownership of your home. If you do not have the deeds, check whether the deeds are digitally registered with HM Land Registry under your name.

6) Fittings and contents form (TA10) Your solicitor will issue this for you to complete.

The TA10 form enables both parties to reach a clear agreement as to what will be included in the sale of your home. For example, whether the white goods and curtains are incorporated in the sale. The document is presented with information on a room-by-room basis to ensure a thorough and holistic disclosure of all the items you are leaving to the buyer. If you have a garden or outdoor space, the TA10 will also specify the contents within these areas.

7) Property information form (TA6) Your solicitor will issue this for you to complete.

The property information form is hefty to complete, but is a document required to sell your property. The detailed form covers everything from any current tenants to boundaries and even the ongoing complaints and disputes with neighbours. So be sure to set aside the necessary time to compile this form. If your paperwork isn’t organised, the sale will take longer.

8) FENSA certificates for windows and doors

FENSA certificates have been issued when replacement doors or windows have been installed since 2002. You may need to supply the FENSA certificate when you sell your house.

9) Replacement boiler

Documentation will need to be gathered if you or a prior owner has replaced the boiler. For instance, be sure to provide a gas safe certificate or the invoice from a recent boiler service to show that the gas work has been done to an approved standard. As with all service records, buyers may require an up to date service to take place if you cannot provide the required records.

10) Electrical Certificates

You will need all certificates regarding electrical work completed in your home. For example, rewiring or electrical replacements. An electrician should be able to supply the building regulations compliance certificate or an electrical safety certificate for you to pass on to the next homeowners.

11) Alterations and extension documentation

Did you add an extension or make an alteration to your home before selling? If so, you will need proof that the legal process was adhered to. For instance, that you acquired building regulation approval and planning permission before your renovations took place. Of course, not all refurbishments require permission, however it is vital to be in the know from the offset to prevent delayed sales.